ACORN’S HOLIDAY GIFT SETS FOR BRITISH TV LOVERS:
MYSTERIES, COMEDIES, DRAMAS AND DOCS
In time for the holidays, the leading British TV specialist features collections of
Foyle’s War, Doc Martin, Marple, Rebus, a real-life Game of Thrones doc,
Acorn TV gift subscriptions, and much more
Offering a treasure trove of gift possibilities for Anglophiles and lovers of British mysteries, dramas and comedies, leading British TV specialist Acorn, an RLJ Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ: RLJE) brand, features several value-priced DVD collections in time for the holidays. Acorn has something for everyone on your list. For mystery and period drama lovers, the bonus-packed Foyle’s War: The Complete Saga features all 28 mysteries of the universally loved detective series starring Michael Kitchen; Agatha Christie’s Marple: The Julia McKenzie Collection features the beloved spinster sleuth in all 11 feature-length episodes from Series 4-6; and Rebus: The Ken Scott Collection features 10 engrossing mysteries based on the bestselling books. For comedy lovers, the Acorn TV and public television sensation Doc Martin: Six Surly Seasons + The Movies features six complete series of “one of the funniest, most entertaining shows on television” (Sunday Express), plus two feature-length movies that inspired the series, and hours of bonus features.
Emmy-nominated Acorn TV, the premier streaming service for world-class television from Britain and beyond, is also available in a gift subscription for $49.99/year. Available at Acorn.TV and on a variety of devices, Acorn TV features exclusive U.S. Premieres of first-rate international content every week to watch anytime. Subscribers were the first to see the newest seasons of Foyle’s War, Doc Martin, Murdoch Mysteries, Harry, Midsomer Murders, George Gently, Agatha Christie’s Partners in Crime, and A Place to Call Home, among many others.
Additionally, Acorn has several documentaries sure to please all documentary and history lovers on your list. Offering the real-life Game of Thrones, Britain’s Bloodiest Dynasty exposes the real history of The Plantagenets through dramatic reenactments, historical documents, and masterful storytelling (DVD 2-disc set, $39.99). In World War One: The People’s Story, an outstanding cast of acclaimed British actors bring the First World War to life in this stirring new documentary (DVD 2-disc set, $39.99). Finally, meet the notorious art thefts who plundered artistic treasures, sending shock waves through the art scene and setting off frantic dragnets across the globe in Art of the Heist (Nov. 17, DVD 4-disc set, $59.99).
Acorn’s value-priced 2015 DVD collections:
- Foyle’s War: The Complete Saga (Nov. 10) – Called “Like a gift from the gods” and “The series ends on a perfect note” by The New York Times, the complete collection of the acclaimed detective series starring Michael Kitchen features all twenty-eight mysteries PLUS over 6 hours of bonus features including interviews making-of documentaries, and behind-the-scenes featurettes (DVD 29-Disc Set, $199.99).
- Doc Martin: Six Surly Seasons + The Movies (Dec. 8) – Follow Doc Martin through six complete series as he diagnoses a multitude of peculiar patients and hurts feelings even as he heals bodies. Also meet Doc Martin’s first incarnation in the two feature-length movies that inspired the series. Then get an inside look at the making of the show with the bonus Behind-the-Scenes Collection. Martin Clunes delivers a spectacular performance alongside an outstanding supporting cast including Caroline Catz and Emmy® winner Eileen Atkins (DVD 16-Disc Set, $124.99). The newest season, Doc Martin, Series 7, is also available on Dec. 8 (2-disc, $39.99).
- Agatha Christie’s Marple: The Julia McKenzie Collection (Oct. 6) – Beloved by critics and audiences alike, this special collector’s edition of Series 4-6 stars fan favorite Julia McKenzie as Agatha Christie’s spinster-sleuth, Miss Marple (DVD 12-Disc Set, $99.99).
- Rebus: The Ken Scott Collection (Nov. 10) – Ken Scott (The Hobbit trilogy) stars as DI John Rebus in these adaptations of Ian Rankin’s award-winning crime novels. Featuring 10 engrossing mysteries, this collection guest stars Natalie Dormer, Julie Graham, Anna Chancellor, Joanne Froggatt, and Sam Heughan (DVD 5-Disc Set, $59.99).
- Other 2015 collections also available include:
- Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, Series 3 – Essie Davis stars in the universally adored Australian 1920s-set mystery series (Oct. 27, DVD/Blu-ray, $49.99).
- A Place to Call Home, Seasons 1 and 2 – Marta Dusseldorp (Jack Irish) stars in the addictive 1950s-set period drama (DVD, $59.99 each).
- Lovejoy: Complete Collection – Ian McShane stars as the beloved antiques dealer (21-disc, $199.99).
- Case Histories Complete Collection – Jason Isaacs stars in the contemporary detective series (4-disc, $59.99).
- Detectorists – BAFTA-Award winning comedy starring Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones (DVD Single, $34.99).
- As well as the newest seasons of Murdoch Mysteries, George Gently, Vera, Midsomer Murders, New Tricks and new shows including The Driver, The Brokenwood Mysteries, The Code, Chasing Shadows, and Harry.